Frequently asked questions about ABI
Who is ABI?
ABI Bottling (Pty) Ltd is a subsidiary of SAB (Pty) Ltd and a bottling partner of Coca-Cola South Africa.
What is our business goal?
To become the premier customer and market development company in South Africa. We are committed to producing and selling our products in a responsible manner and to minimise our impact on the environment.
What is our production capacity?
ABI produces over 1.8 billion litres of soft drinks per year.
Where do we operate?
ABI operates in four sales regions, namely; Central, North, South and KZN. Our territory extends to Gauteng, North West, parts of Free State and KZN.
How many plants do we have?
We have five manufacturing and distribution plants situated at Midrand, Devland, Pretoria, Phoenix and Premier (KZN).
How many employees do we have?
We employ 3 200 employees
How many customers do we have?
Over 110 000 Sales Serviced Customers are looked after by our dedicated teams.
How many brands do we produce?
We produce and sell 11 sparking brands and 8 still brands.
What is our approach to customer service?
ABI strives to be a partner of choice and we believe that our customers must have healthy, profitable and growing businesses.
- Delivering efficiently and timeously to our customers in diverse trade categories, from spaza shops to supermarkets, is a central component of our business philosophy.
- We pride ourselves in being able to deliver to all customers, regardless of stock quantity, delivery times and frequency.
- ABI currently serves a customer base of about 110 000, we intend growing this customer base and creating jobs in the process as well as fulfilling our promise to deliver customer service excellence every step of the way.
What are our sustainability priorities?
As a responsible corporate citizen we focus on:
- Water usage efficiency
- Efficient energy use
- Sustainable packaging and
- Giving back to communities where we operate
How do we serve our communities?
We are committed to doing business ethically, respecting all relevant codes and regulations applicable to our industry, sphere of business and societal influence. We consider this vital to winning and maintaining the trust and respect of all our customers and stakeholders.
We continuously strive for excellent partnerships with all those who support our business. In line with our values, we aspire to being an organisation that works in the best interest of three key stakeholders: consumers, retailers and society.
What about community initiatives?
ABI is a responsible corporate citizen. In this context we focus on education, environmental management and youth development through sport.
Our Schools Recycling Programme is one of the various environmental initiatives that ABI has embarked on. In 2015, 404 schools participated in the programme and collected 645 tonnes of PET, cans and paper. Of this, 210 tonnes comprised PET; collection volumes for this programme increased by 275% in 2015.
Additionally, in 2005, Coca-Cola teamed up with industry partners to form a PET recycling company (PETCO). To date 70 000 tonnes of post-consumer PET bottles have been collected, recycled and converted into fibre, which can be used in clothing, bedding and furniture. The target is to collect 167 000 tonnes by 2022 so collection rates are currently at 41%. PETCO provides some 41 000 income opportunities in the informal sector.
What about growing the economy and job creation?
ABI is committed to enterprise development as an investment for the future and transformation of South Africa.
We reinvest capital in local businesses through our Market Logistics Partners (MLPs), Grow My Business and our Owner Drivers. We currently have 90 MLPs which are local community businesses, run by local people employing local people. Each MLP employs 10 people on average. We also have more than 300 Owner Drivers – this programme has experienced an 89% retention rate in the last five years which is a high success rate for small businesses.
We have trained over 4 000 customers on the Grow My Business programme to grow their businesses sustainably into the future.
- Shell CR Supplier of Choice 2015
- Coca-Cola Stewardship Award-Silver Award: ABI Phoenix 2016
- Top 10 Energy-Saving Challenge successfully completed by ABI’s Devland, Phoenix and Premier plants 2014
- ABI Midrand won a Sector 1 Award at the National Sector Industry Awards (NOSA) 2014
- Total Beverage Supplier of the Year Award 2013
- Shell Beverage Supplier of the Year 2013
- Mike’s Kitchen Award 2013
- Coca-Cola SA, ABI was the first bottler in Africa to exceed 1.7 billion litres of sales in one year
- Global RED Best in Class Full Process Award 2013
- Acknowledgement Award from Pikitup 2013
- Coca-Cola Stewardship Awards – Silver Award: ABI Devland; Bronze Award: ABI Phoenix 2012
- ABI KZN (Phoenix) awarded for its commitment to waste management 2014
- City of Joburg & Pikitup Awards 2012 & 2013
- PETCO Awards CSI Champion & 2013 Educator of the Year 2012
- City of Joburg Award for Waste Recycling initiatives